MSN home page changes
Paul
2008-09-02 21:27:01 UTC
How can I remove, completely, hotmail and my messages from the MSN homepage.
Being in an open office enviornment with people stopping by all day to talk,
I really don't want my email inbox sitting out in the open for everyone to
see.

Thanks
StephenB
2008-09-02 22:15:09 UTC
Post by Paul
How can I remove, completely, hotmail and my messages from the MSN homepage.
Being in an open office enviornment with people stopping by all day to talk,
I really don't want my email inbox sitting out in the open for everyone to
see.
Thanks
What page are we talking about?
On http://my.msn.com you can click the down arrow for any module and click
delete to remove that module, including Hotmail from your page.
On www.msn.com, Hotmail is only displayed if you checked that option in "Add
content from MSN" on the page *and* you are signed in with a LiveID.
What URL are you going to? And, no matter what page you are being sent to, if
you click on sign out or log out, Hotmail can't display your emails.
-steve
--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
***@mvps.org
Paul
2008-09-02 23:47:01 UTC
Ok, thanks for the heads up. The page in question is www.msn.com. I don't
recall pressing a button to "Add content from MSN". The new page layout just
appeared earlier today. So is there a way to "Remove MSN content" from the
page? Like I said I prefer not to have that on my www.msn.com homepage at
all. The hide button does not stay hidden between sessions and my LiveId is
used for multiple Microsoft sites that I use throughout the day, so logging
off of LiveId is not going to be an option for me either.

Thanks,
Paul
StephenB
2008-09-03 08:25:42 UTC
When I go to www.msn.com there is a module in the center column at the bottom
that lists several MSN/Live offerings and each has a check box to unselect the
show option for each.
I suspect that you may have a new MSN page that I have not yet seen.
-steve
***@mvps.org
Paul
2008-09-03 04:15:00 UTC
I should point out also that when type www.msn.com into the address bar I am
being directed to http://v11.www.msn.com/defaulta.aspx in IE7. Firefox does
not get redirected and goes to www.msn.com. I looked at the source for
http://v11.www.msn.com/defaulta.aspx and there is not any options for "Add
Content from MSN". Any way to keep from being redirected in IE7?

Thanks,
Paul
StephenB
2008-09-03 08:34:18 UTC
Thanks for the URL - I hadn't seen the page revised yet. You are correct - no
way to get rid of any of the sidebar elements unless you sign out of MSN...
The redirect may be based on IE7, but there is anothe trigger since I'm using
IE7 and don't normally see the new page.
I think it would be worth submitting feedback via the link in the lower right
hand corner - http://ccc01.opinionlab.com/o.asp?id=bemSHEnV
An alternative is to switch your home page. Try http://my.live.com and customize
it to your liking, for example.
-steve
***@mvps.org
...winston
2008-09-03 08:40:58 UTC
IE7 here..
Typing www.msn.com in the IE7 address bar goes to same
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail
jonac7
2009-02-05 00:05:06 UTC
Can anyone help me?
I recently rebooted my computer after "dumping" it due to a virus infection.
When I re-installed my anti-virus, anti-spyware etc. programs it seemed to
be running fine and fast again except that when I open msn.com (my home page)
it includes this tag at the end after the /defaulta.aspx.
Why does it do it? and how can I get rid of it?
any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
StephenB
2009-02-05 01:04:47 UTC
default.aspx is simply the name of the page that was generated for display to
you. aspx is the extension for a page created - an Active Server Page and
"default" is the name of the page that displays when you arrive at the site
without specifying the exact page that you want to see.
So, all is well.
-steve
***@mvps.org
LJG
JT Peterson
...winston
2011-04-05 05:03:16 UTC
If you are referring to a Favorites module (added to my.msn.com via the Add
Content/MSN Tools/Favorites) and having added links to that module:
cf. http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/msn/sknil_etirovaf.aspx
- Those sites are not exportable since they are only stored online(if using
a Live ID) or in a cookie (if not using a Live ID).

If the entire Favorites module was deleted or one or more of the links on
the module deleted then neither are recoverable.

In the future, you might consider after adding a link to the MSN Favorites
to open the link and redundantly add the link to your browser's favorites
since your browser allows exporting its favorites/links to a file for
archiving purposes.

--
...winston
msft mvp mail