msnupdate.exe
ml
2008-07-31 20:42:00 UTC
I keep getting a message at the end of an online session to run
msnupdate.exe. It only happens on my desktop not on my laptop. I haven't
allowed msnupdate.exe to update but am confused by information on the
internet about what this file is. I have Norton installed on my computer and
it is always up to date and scans incoming emails.
Should I allow msnupdate.exe to run or is there a way to eliminate the file.
I have run searches on my computer but have been unable to find the file.
Is it in fact a trojan?
Help, please..... mary lou
PA Bear [MS MVP]
2008-07-31 23:51:15 UTC
See http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/msnupdate.exe-8267.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
Help, please..... mary lou
BeritB [MSFT]
2008-08-04 17:34:24 UTC
Hi Mary Lou,

MSNUpdate.exe is the part of the MSN auto update process. This indicates
that the latest version of MSN has finished downloading and is waiting to
complete the install. It is rather persistent and will ask you for
permission every time you exit MSN.

Once you allow the update, it should complete the install in less than a
minute.

FYI:
Only customers who are running Vista will see this prompt.

Thanks,
Berit Benson
Community Leader - MSN Internet Access
Help, please..... mary lou
PA Bear [MS MVP]
2008-08-04 18:24:59 UTC
Maybe not, depending on where the file's located; cf.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/msnupdate.exe-8267.html &
http://www.sophos.com/security/analyses/viruses-and-spyware/w32rbotaam.html
Help, please..... mary lou
BeritB [MSFT]
2008-08-04 18:47:05 UTC
Greetings,

Thank you for the excellent clarification on this file. If this message is
appearing for any OS other than Vista, it is not our update file.

I will post back with further information on how to determine if this is our
update file versus spyware.

Thanks,
Berit
Help, please..... mary lou
PA Bear [MS MVP]
Help, please..... mary lou
ml
2008-08-04 21:10:01 UTC
I have had a difficult time getting back to this spot. The link that
appeared with the email notification continued giving me a blank page with
"DONE". Finally realized I had to delete part of the link to get here. I am
running Vista and had just about decided, after running virus scans and
spyware scans that resulted in nothing, that the file must be OK. I do keep
all my virus and antispyware up to date. Have known a few folks who have
lost their computers with those problems.
If you think the file is safe I will let it do it's thing. I did get so far
with searches to find that it is in the core files. I have forgotten the
whole string but it does appear legit based on all the reading I've done.
I'm just a little nervous and wonder why Vista is different than XP sp3 in
this instance. Thanks for the responses and perhaps this will help other
folks out there with the same questions. mary lou
Help, please..... mary lou
ml
2008-08-04 22:19:08 UTC
Have another question about this I forgot to ask. Why is the file MSN6
associated with msn explorer 9.6.............................? Is MSN still
based on that original version? ml
Help, please..... mary lou
...winston
2008-08-05 02:15:09 UTC
Iirc...Msn Explorer was the name of the software prior to it being branded Msn Premium.
9.6 is the current auto-update version. Using the same name of an earlier executable is not out of the ordinary. Features have
changed significantly since it was called Msn Explorer.
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail
Earle Horton
2008-08-05 04:00:54 UTC
MSN6 is the name of the directory (in %appdata%) where MSN keeps various
configuration files. I imagine that it is still named MSN6 because it would
have been a lot of trouble to move it while keeping users' data and settings
intact.

Earle
...winston
2008-08-06 06:44:19 UTC
I don't recall the op ever making it clear where she saw MSN6...dialog box, browsing in Explorer etc..
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail
Earle Horton

...winston
2008-08-06 23:54:20 UTC
Thanks..
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail
David Allen
2010-11-05 07:17:18 UTC
C:\Users\"Your Name"\AppData\Roaming\MSN6\msnupdate.exe
This is where it is located in Vista.
Post by Earle Horton
MSN6 is the name of the directory (in %appdata%) where MSN keeps various
configuration files. I imagine that it is still named MSN6 because it would
have been a lot of trouble to move it while keeping users' data and settings
intact.
Earle
Assuming you are running MSN Explorer (AKA MSN 9.x), it should be legit.
Thanks all. Glad you are all here to lend a helping hand. mary lou
I do not recall the op ever making it clear where she saw MSN6...dialog box, browsing in Explorer etc..
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail
Post by ...winston
Thanks..
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail
Post by Pam D
Thanks Nary Lou and Berit as I had the same question. Pam D.
ASP.NET 4.0 browser capabilities
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/668c15e2-9fe5-4a7a-94ac-001af0bf4d1b/aspnet-40-browser-capabilities.aspx
David Allen
2010-11-05 07:20:01 UTC
C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\MSN6\msnupdate.exe
Post by Earle Horton
MSN6 is the name of the directory (in %appdata%) where MSN keeps various
configuration files. I imagine that it is still named MSN6 because it would
have been a lot of trouble to move it while keeping users' data and settings
intact.
Earle
Assuming you are running MSN Explorer (AKA MSN 9.x), it should be legit.
Thanks all. Glad you are all here to lend a helping hand. mary lou
I do not recall the op ever making it clear where she saw MSN6...dialog box, browsing in Explorer etc..
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail
I do not either but that is the only place I have seen it, except for Regedit.
(:o?
Earle
Post by ...winston
Thanks..
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail
Post by David Allen
C:\Users\"Your Name"\AppData\Roaming\MSN6\msnupdate.exe
This is where it is located in Vista.
Using the ASP.NET CustomValidator Control
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/e622d48f-2787-4906-b97f-1ef8037a688f/using-the-aspnet-customvalidator-control.aspx
John Caldwell
2010-12-23 02:08:29 UTC
In my recent experience: msnupdate.exe is a valid updater for msn.
I've had a PC for a while. Not long ago I bought a laptop, and recently started to get msnupdat.exe upon closing msn. Compared versions of msn, the PC was 10.00..., the laptop was 9.60..., I OK'd msnupdate on the laptop and checked its version 15 min later. It was now the same as the PC.
Post by Earle Horton
MSN6 is the name of the directory (in %appdata%) where MSN keeps various
configuration files. I imagine that it is still named MSN6 because it would
have been a lot of trouble to move it while keeping users' data and settings
intact.
Earle
Assuming you are running MSN Explorer (AKA MSN 9.x), it should be legit.
Thanks all. Glad you are all here to lend a helping hand. mary lou
I do not recall the op ever making it clear where she saw MSN6...dialog box, browsing in Explorer etc..
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail
I do not either but that is the only place I have seen it, except for Regedit.
(:o?
Earle
Post by ...winston
Thanks..
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail
Post by David Allen
C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\MSN6\msnupdate.exe
This is where it is located in Vista
Submitted via EggHeadCafe
Microsoft LINQ Query Samples For Beginners
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/training-topic-area/LINQ-Standard-Query-Operators/33/LINQ-Standard-Query-Operators.aspx
PA Bear [MS MVP]
Help, please..... mary lou
ml