Why pay for MSN when Live Mail is free?
Lord Brian
2007-08-24 15:46:05 UTC
I have been a long time user of MSN, but I gotta ask: why stay with MSN when
so much of the old MSN content is now free? Maybe the even more important
question should be: can I keep my @msn.com email account if I drop my MSN
subscription?

I have been a fan of MSN for years, but Microsoft seems to be following the
trail left by google and yahoo - that being providing a lot of great stuff
for free (just ad-based). I'm sure they let me subscribe to MSN forever
(heck, you can still subscribe to Compuserve!), but if the sun is setting on
the butterfly...

What say you, friends.
N. Miller
2007-08-24 17:24:39 UTC
Post by Lord Brian
I have been a long time user of MSN, but I gotta ask: why stay with MSN when
so much of the old MSN content is now free? Maybe the even more important
subscription?
I don't think so. Your 'msn.com' email comes with the paid service. I could
be wrong, though.
Post by Lord Brian
I have been a fan of MSN for years, but Microsoft seems to be following the
trail left by google and yahoo - that being providing a lot of great stuff
for free (just ad-based). I'm sure they let me subscribe to MSN forever
(heck, you can still subscribe to Compuserve!), but if the sun is setting on
the butterfly...
What say you, friends.
I wouldn't pay just to have an 'msn.com' email address. I wouldn't even pay
just to keep a 'pacbell.net' email address. I pay for a domain, and run my
own mail server (or you could pay to host it with a hosting service). The
email addresses on my domain are mine no matter who I choose for an ISP.
--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,
~singing down the hills and valleys.
Lord Brian
2007-08-24 19:12:00 UTC
Thanks Mister N,

I've never tried this, but with a teen-aged daughter, just not any domain
will do. The MSN.com moniker was just barely acceptable for her. And by
jumping in this late in the game I'll have to get a domain like
"SmurfBuddy.com" or "DairyFarmersOfAlabama.tv" which will be waaaaay uncool
for her.

Heck, I might try just for the fun of it. It sure would be better if I
could take my @MSN.con with me into the world of LiveMail sans the
subscription...

Anyone out there tried this?
...winston
2007-08-24 18:42:04 UTC
It depends on your situation.
If MSn is your provider dial up or partnered dsl then another isp would be
in order.

Cancelling a fee based Msn subscription(dialup[$20-22/mo] or bring you own
isp[$10/mo]) converts the fee based account to a free msn.com http account.
Doing so normally loses http access via OE/OL(unless the account is
grandfathered). The cancelled msn.com account can be converted to an ad free
premium/plus Windows Live Hotmail account retaining the msn.com address at
an annual cost of $20 which restores use of OE or OL. Note: Windows Live
Mail(beta) functions with free and fee based accounts.

...winston
ms-mvp wlm
What say you, friends.
Lord Brian
2007-08-27 13:12:03 UTC
Wow. You have the book on MSN. And, if not, you need to write it. Thanks
for your expertise. I think I am going to try go subscriptionless and
ad-free. With any money I save, I'll register a domain
(www.LavenderWalnutShavers.ws get ready for daddy) and try my hand at that.
This way, my daughter can keep her MSN.com address and I can try something
new.

Maybe one day I can return the favor, ...winston.
What say you, friends.
Earle Horton
2007-08-24 21:01:37 UTC
A cancelled MSN subscription can continue to access email through the
Hotmail web site. As ...winston says you can kill the ads and restore
Outlook Express or Outlook access for $20 a year.

I have been an MSN user for years, but not a fan. It takes all kinds.

Cheers,

Earle
What say you, friends.
Lord Brian
2007-08-27 13:06:06 UTC
Thanks, Earle. Exactly what I was looking for. I tried to find this out for
myself (honestly), but couldn't find it on MSN very easily. I no wizard, but
hopefully one day I can return the favor to you.

Cheers!
Post by Lord Brian
trail left by google and yahoo - that being providing a lot of great stuff
for free (just ad-based). I'm sure they let me subscribe to MSN forever
(heck, you can still subscribe to Compuserve!), but if the sun is setting
on
Post by Lord Brian
the butterfly...
What say you, friends.
n***@mybox.net
2007-08-29 23:25:14 UTC
The only reason I hang on to my annual MSN subscription for $79 is the
subscription to McAfee ($39.95 annual subscription) & Spysweeper
($29.95 annual subscription). And guess what...the MSN subscription
works on all three of my computers where McAfee & Webroot make you buy
a higher-priced multiple subscription price.

It's a cost savings for my three computers. That is why.

Post by Lord Brian
trail left by google and yahoo - that being providing a lot of great stuff
for free (just ad-based). I'm sure they let me subscribe to MSN forever
(heck, you can still subscribe to Compuserve!), but if the sun is setting
on
Post by Lord Brian
the butterfly...
What say you, friends.
Earle Horton
2007-08-30 01:49:46 UTC
This is a good point. I get MSN "free" with Qwest DSL, so I could calculate
that it actually pays for three months of service in free software
subscriptions. Woohoo!

Cheers,

Earle
Post by Lord Brian
trail left by google and yahoo - that being providing a lot of great stuff
for free (just ad-based). I'm sure they let me subscribe to MSN forever
(heck, you can still subscribe to Compuserve!), but if the sun is setting
on
Post by Lord Brian
the butterfly...
What say you, friends.
Pat Van Hoomissen
2011-01-28 23:12:53 UTC
Post by Earle Horton
This is a good point. I get MSN "free" with Qwest DSL, so I could calculate
that it actually pays for three months of service in free software
subscriptions. Woohoo!
Cheers,
Earle
for
but
MSN
important
MSN
following
stuff
forever
setting
Submitted via EggHeadCafe
ASP.NET In-Memory Image Control with Built-In Resizing of Posted File
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/e1a14e2c-e746-4bed-a552-24c632bd2709/aspnet-inmemory-image-control-with-builtin-resizing-of-posted-file.aspx
StephenB
2011-01-30 01:57:14 UTC
Yes. Your @msn email address will become a free account. You can then access it
at www.hotmail.com (as you already can) or with an email program of choice, such
as Windows Live Mail.
-steve
Post by Earle Horton
[...]
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
Windows Live OneCare/Live Mesh/MSE Forums Moderator
***@mvps.org
...winston
2011-02-04 04:50:39 UTC
To add to Stephen B.' response.
- you also have the option after cancellation of a Premium account to
convert your MSN Premium account to a Windows Live Hotmail Plus
account($20/yr instead of per month) which will provide 10GB
storage(increases based on need), no account expiration(periodic logon
requirement waived), no graphical ads(in Hotmail or SkyDrive), and
continued phone support for Customer Service(but not Technical Support
which is handled via the Windows Live Solution Center)
- ensure that any changes made relative to cancellation are done via phone
with MSN Premium Support
- Note: MSN Premium Support may not be able to convert to Hotmail Plus due
to timing of account cancellation(if not Hotmail Plus sign up can be done
via http://explore.live.com/windows-live-hotmail-plus)

Net Savings about $220/yr

--
...winston
msft mvp mail

"Pat Van Hoomissen" wrote in message news:***@eggheadcafe.com...

I too wonder why I am still in the habit of forking out $20/mo to MSN... I
want to keep my (@msn.com) address for resume, business card and other
historical reasons. SO, the question remains - Can I keep the address and
drop MSN? - I do not know the answer, but appreciate hearing from someone
who does. Thank you, -P